Let’s create some simple strategies to improve your nutrition without overwhelm. Avoid these 10 things so you can start looking and feeling better within days!
1. Don’t skip meals. It slows down your metabolism. 4 meals per day, one every 3-4 hours, will speed up your metabolism, and stop you from picking on stuff causing overconsumption of calories.
2. Don’t drink your calories. Soft drinks, juices and alcohol are laden with unnecessary calories that you can do without. Not to mention the sugar content! Stick to water, whether it be still water, unflavored mineral water, soda water or unsweetened coconut water.
3. Avoid over consumption of processed food. Stick to about 1-2 treat foods per week.
4. Avoid allergy or intolerance food. Eating food that inflames your body is the best way to make you sick, increase stress, make you feel terrible, and increase fat gain.
5. Avoid under eating. People who severely under eat, slow down their metabolism, slow down thyroid function, increase visceral fat storage (the dangerous fat in your abdominal cavity), warp their hormones and cause long term health issues. 1,000 calorie diets are dangerous and unsustainable. The average person needs at least 1500 calories per day for optimal health and fat loss. If under eating worked, why do people in 3rd world countries have pot bellies? Think about it!
6. Avoid overeating! This is usually caused when drinking your calories, when consuming too many processed foods, when you skip meals causing binge eating, or when you constantly graze or snack throughout the day; this includes people that eat 3 meals and 2-3 snacks per day. The best way to regulate your daily calories, is to eat 4 meals per day, full of nutritious fresh food, and no snacks.
7. Avoid comfort eating. If you are sad, upset, or any other mood that causes you to eat, find another way to make you feel better. Food is fuel, and should not be used to comfort you.
8. Don’t use food as a reward.
9. Avoid ‘fat free’ food. They are usually high in sugar and/or full of chemicals.
10. Avoid diets!!! If they worked, you would only ever go on one of them!!! Simply eat fresh food, regularly. Don’t overcomplicate it!
– Coach Terri