When fighting for any type of success, too often we focus on the things that we are struggling with, the things that are challenging us or the things that we haven’t quite achieved yet and forget to celebrate the wins along the way. It is vital to celebrate those wins as they are fuel for the rest of the journey. When we fail to celebrate the wins along the way, particularly the smaller wins, we start to struggle with the tasks at hand, lose motivation and start to feel like “what’s the point?” It all starts to get too hard and everything becomes a drag. Before you know it, you are back to square one, beating yourself up because you keep going around in circles.
Put an end to this. As you progress, stop and reflect on what you have achieved so far. Celebrate it. You may celebrate simply by recognizing the success or win, writing it down in your ‘Success Journal’ or having a celebratory dinner, buying yourself some flowers, buying yourself something special, anything that will be for you, a special something to say “well done”. It’s like a start chart that we keep track of for our children. Something so small and yet so powerful to reward progress and success.
Don’t wait for the big wins. They will come too, yes; but focus on the smaller ones that people often miss, first. These small seemingly insignificant ones are the most important for helping you get across the line!
Here are some of the things you might celebrate:
- Isolation – as hard as it is you have managed to create some sort of routine in your life
- You are successfully working from home
- You are cooking fresh food to eat
- You are walking daily
- You are exercising at least 3 times per week in some way shape or form
- You are consistently drinking 2 litres of water per day
- Your jeans are now too big
- Your skin is looking clearer
- You are sleeping better
- You eating regular meals
- You are factoring in treat meals which are preventing you from binging
- You are enjoying a bit more down time
- You are appreciating life on a different level
- You are writing a gratitude list each day
- You are getting some sunshine or at least UVs from the clouds for at least 10mins every day
- The list goes on…………………
So think about your wins, and take the time to celebrate them! They will help you keep pushing forward on the tough days.
- Coach Terri